Monday 9 May 2011

Rural Capacity Internship: An Introduction

The Rural Capacity Internship is an opportunity for University of Alberta students to begin to explore and make meaningful connections between the university and rural communities. As students we have been given community placements all over Alberta. We will be facing new and exciting challenges in our host communities and have the opportunity to work with university faculty in researching programs and projects  that promote rural capacity and sustainability.

Lucky enough to be chosen as a summer intern I have been assigned to the host community of Hay Lakes, Alberta. Hay Lakes is a village located about 30 kilometers north of the city of Camrose and has a population that as of the 2008 census is at 429 citizens. I have lived in Camrose for the majority of my life, however part of who I am is rooted in this small village just off of Highway 21. My grandparents spent most of their lives working a farm just outside of Hay Lakes and thus formed strong ties to the village of Hay Lakes. Just as my own dad did, I spent the first part of my life playing in the prairie sun and it is these first few memories of mine that have me looking forward to my rural capacity internship experience.

 I am excited to be returning to Hay Lakes with an opportunity to work in partnership with the community and the University of Alberta. I am not sure what the summer will hold yet, but I am certain that it will be filled with new learning experiences, exciting challenges, and alot of new adventures.

 Stay tuned to follow me on my summer of rural adventures in Hay Lakes...

No comments:

Post a Comment