Monday 22 August 2011

Sun, Saskatoons & Prairie Fun!

This weekend in Hay Lakes brought some beautiful sun, saskatoon berries and some good old fashioned prairie fun my way! For Saturday and Sunday, volunteers of the community came together and helped put on prairie fun events at telegraph park. The park was open for visitors to come and either take a walk around the pathways, jump aboard the 'people mover' and tour the whole park, take part in some games & crafts and enjoy a BBQ at lunch time.

For this event I was in charge of leading the activity and craft portion of the day. I spent the day making pinwheels with the kids the showed up. As well I took the first batch of kids on a tour of the park on top of the 'people mover.' The 'people mover' is bascially just a huge wagon pulled by a tractor. I swear that this is the same wagon I rode on for my playschool graduation, and I can't be certain, but am wondering if it wasn't the same gentleman driving it as well.

There are a few great things that came out of this event for me to reflect on. First of all, it is incredible to me how many fantastic things can come together with the help of community volunteers. Second, in all the beautiful places that exist on this planet, you will find it hard to beat the beauty of a tree-lined park with the prairie sun shining down on it, and lastly, if you are looking for delicious saskatoon berries, you should make your way to telegraph park around the end of August and fill your buckets and bellies with some of the plumpest, and sweetest saskatoons that a person could possibly find!

I am so happy that the sun came out for the weekend of fun! It was also great to see all the people who showed up to help make the first ever Prairie Fun days a success. After a weekend of fun in Hay Lakes I am beginning my last week of summer work in the village!

No comments:

Post a Comment